When purchasing a tablet, a crucial buying factor is the size of the tablet you intend to buy.
This is because not only does it affect the comfort of use, but a small, medium, or large tablet is ideal for specific purposes. So you’d need the perfect-sized gadget to cater to your specific needs.
Your manufacturer of choice or sellers may exaggerate the size of a tablet screen for marketing reasons. But why should you be fooled easily and pay more than what you’re getting? Determining the correct screen size is also vital when you need to repair the screen.
We are thus about to guide you through measuring your tablet screen dimensions accurately by yourself. So bring out the measuring tools and let’s get down to business!
Available Tablet Sizes
If we put the number of tablet sizes available under simple categorization, there are three categories- small, medium, and large.
The Little League- Around 8 Inches
Tablets within these sizes are the most compact and lightweight, thus making them easiest to carry around and use for hours.
But they might not be the most comfortable for those with eye issues or have trouble viewing small images or reading small fonts. If you wanted a small screen, you could have stuck to your smartphone. Why even bother getting a tablet?
The Mediums- Around 10-11 Inches
Tablets within this size are the sweet spot for most users, bringing out the true convenience and comfort of using a bigger screen.
The introduction of bigger screens, however, has made this category to be considered as mid-sized tablets. Tablets around 10 inches are much more comfortable to use with a bigger screen, bigger fonts, and images.
This category is thus a better option for watching videos and is capable of supporting even some high-end games! Typing is also a breeze when used in portrait mode as the keyboard keys are larger and more convenient to type on.
The Mega Devices- 12-Inch+ Phablets
These large models with screen sizes of 12 inches or more are no longer your basic tablets but are known as phablets.
This because they have been designed to be a substitute for laptops and are incredibly powerful with enhanced capabilities. Large-screen models like these are an incredible option for those intending to use a tablet for professional purposes.
But these models tend to be bulkier and a little less portable and are mostly carried around for business meetings, professional drawing, etc. Such devices can be an incredible gaming device too, thanks to their powerful hardware.
How To Measure Tablet Size?
If we consider 10 inch tablet dimensions of a model such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1″ (2019), you’d notice that it measures around 8.3 x 0.3 x 4.9 inches.
So the question is, with the length, depth, and width lower than 10 inches, how exactly is it claiming that it is a 10-inch device?
Well, today is the day we debunk this confusion all of us had at some point in our lives. You see, the tablet screen advertised is not measured vertically or horizontally, but diagonally from one corner to another.
Once you measure accordingly, you’d realize that the diagonal length is the size that matches the advertised tablet screen size.
The Manual Way
Now that we have cleared up that confusion, it’s time to get measuring. In order to measure your tablet screen manually, what you’d need is just a ruler.
You could also opt for using a tape, whichever you find most convenient to use. A ruler is recommended as it won’t bend at an angle due to manual handling, thus reducing the chance of errors.
But ensure that the tool you’re using is well-calibrated for maximum precision. Then, follow the steps below to measure the dimensions of the device and the screen size.
- Place the tablet straight on a flat, hard surface
- Let’s measure the length first. Take your ruler or tape and align it as accurately as possible to align the zero mark at one end
- Take the reading from your ruler where the other end of the device aligns with the ruler. We now have the length of the device
- Next, hold the ruler horizontally and follow the same process to measure the width
- In order to measure the depth or thickness of the tablet, bring it to the edge of the desk or flat surface it rests on
- Hold the ruler perpendicularly and measure from the desk surface up to the point where the screen ends.
- Now that you have found the dimensions of your device, the screen size is left, which, as we previously discussed, is measured diagonally
Relying On Specifications
One foolproof way of measuring, say, an 8 inch tablet dimensions, is to rely on the specifications. If the product’s packaging or manual doesn’t provide that information, that’s okay too.
All you have to do is go to the settings of your device and select “About (Device). This is where you’ll find all info about your tablet, including the exact model name of the device.
Once you find the exact name, simply search it up on the web to find information regarding your tablet’s size.
Limitations Of Measuring Tablet Size By Yourself
- Curved edges may reduce the accuracy of your edges
- Poor calibration of measuring tool
- It’s more difficult to get accurate readings of slim devices
- Home devices are not the most precise
- Not all websites are trusted/ certified to provide authentic information
Ways To Improve The Accuracy Of Tablet Size Measurement
- Choose a well-calibrated ruler or tape where the calibrations are clearly visible
- Ensure the surface you place the tablet on isn’t soft or bumpy
- It is better to use a sturdy ruler instead of a flexible measuring tape
- Try to align the starting point of your measurement as perfectly to the 0-calibration as possible
- Check that the tablet isn’t slanted during measurement
- When measuring the screen, measure diagonally excluding the bezels. Focus only on the parts of the screen that light up
- If you’re researching the internet for tablet size information, check more than one verified website to verify the authenticity of the information
There is no definite rule that the bigger your tablet the better. Manufacturers obviously have their reasons for producing models of various sizes.
Each size is optimum for a different purpose which is why, size does matter, but not the way you think. Hence, it is important to ensure that you know the size of the device you are opting to buy-both the dimensions and the screen size.
Now that you have gone through our guide till the end, measuring up your device as precisely as possible will never be a pressing issue and you’d finally get to make a more informed purchase!