Whether it’s an informational sticker by your laptop brand or the decorative ones you used to beautify your device, none are permanent and need to come off at some point.
This leads to the annoying part of having sticker residue stuck on your laptop. It is not only unpleasant and uncomfortably sticky but also is a magnet of dirt and dust, turning black in no time, making your laptop look all the more repulsive.
We are thus about to disclose how to get rid of sticker residue on laptop effortlessly with simple products, making your device clean and spot-free in a jiffy!
How To Get Rid Of Sticker Residue On Laptop
This is the first and easiest way to take of residue sticker or adhesive from your laptop surface.
This works best when a tiny amount of residue is left. Scrape them off with your fingernail, a thick plastic card such as a credit card, etc. Once it all comes off, finish the cleaning procedure like always with alcohol wipes.
Using A Heat Source
This is the improved version of scraping for when the residue is more in amount and just scraping doesn’t do the trick.
We all have a hairdryer lying around in our homes, right? Simply use that in the lowest heat setting to warm up the adhesive residue so that it gets softer. This will make it easier to scrape off.
But ensure that heat is applied from a distance in the lowest setting and in intervals for around 30 seconds as excessive heat may harm your device.
Using mild abrasives such as Scotch Brite pads, magic erasers, baking soda paste, toothpaste, etc. is yet another genius way to dissolve away the sticker along with all the adhesives.
You can make the baking soda paste using baking soda, some vinegar, and some water. Whichever abrasive you use, ensure it’s as mild as possible because extensive rubbing along with a too strong abrasive may scrape the surface of your laptop.
This is a great option for recently-removed stickers. Soak a clean piece of soft cloth in hot water and squeeze off excess water as much as possible.
Now take a drop of dish soap that has grease-fighting features, lather it up, and use the foamy cloth to gently but firmly scrub the residue. Once it all comes off, pat the area dry with a paper towel and finish off with an alcohol wipe.
One of the best parts about this method is that not only do you get to effectively remove sticker residue, but also simultaneously clean up and disinfect the device.
Take a piece of microfiber cloth and dampen it with rubbing alcohol. Ensure that the concentration is under 70% as or else, your laptop surface might get damaged.
Let the damp cloth sit on top of the target spot for a while and then scrub to remove the residue. Repeat the process until all the gunk has been removed.
Oil Or Oil-Based Products
This works great on stickers that aren’t waterproof, i.e., without any plastic layer on top.
You can use any type of oil including cooking oil, petroleum gel, olive oil, tea tree oil, etc., and even peanut butter!Apply a small amount of the product on a piece of microfiber cloth and apply to the affected area. Let it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing it off.
The sticker and adhesive will soak up the oil and will make the residue easier to remove. Be sure to clean off the oil as soon as you’re done with the removal process to avoid discoloration of your laptop surface.
This is yet another handy way to remove sticky adhesive residue from your sticker. Put tape on the sticky area, rub it so that it sticks firmly to the area, then pull off the tape in a swift motion. The adhesive of the tape will stick to the sticker adhesive and take it off, curing stickiness with stickiness!
How To Remove Laptop Stickers Without Damaging Them
- Using residue-free stickers is one of the best options to go for. Not only don’t they leave adhesive residue on your laptop to clean up, but you also get to remove them without damaging them and reuse them again.
- For regular stickers, you can use your fingernail or a thin plastic knife to slowly pry or scrape off the sticker off the laptop. Using a hairdryer to soften up the adhesive makes the job easier and your stickers stay in shape while letting go of the adhesive.
- You can also use something oily under the stickers as you gently pull them off to make the adhesive come off faster.
Once they come off, you can adopt several ways to make them sticky again for re-use using wax paper and adhesive spray, or double-sided tape. But why go through the hassle in the age of residue-free reusable stickers?
How To Remove Laptop Skin
Since laptop skins are full-sized to match the size of your laptop lid, they can be trickier to remove. But the process is basically the same for when removing small stickers.
- Turn off and unplug your laptop
- Start at one end at the edges by trying to lift the skin off with your fingernail of a thin plastic knife
- Once you lift off enough to hold the sticker with your fingers, hold the laptop with one hand and start pulling with the other
- If you intend to reuse the skin, which is less likely, pull it off gently and slowly so as not to damage or tear it
- Use any of the methods discussed previously to make the peeling easier
- Once peeled off entirely, clean off any residue via any of the methods we initially described
- Disinfect the laptop surface after cleaning up and allow it to dry completely before using the laptop or applying new stickers or skins
Safety Aspects To Maintain
- Make sure you turn off the laptop before starting the cleanup. This is a compulsory step for every method of cleaning that uses wet products
- Don’t use excessive heat to soften the adhesive residue. Use the lowest heat and in intervals of up to 30 seconds
- If you must use abrasives, opt for the mildest one
- Alcohol solutions should have concentrations no stronger than 70%
- When using wet products to clean up, squeeze out the cloth as much as possible to get rid of excess liquid. We want damp cloth, not wet
- Never put liquid products directly on your laptop
- Makeup remover as a substitute for rubbing alcohol is a big no-no
- Avoid the holes when using liquid products and ensure no liquid drips and falls inside
- Never use too sharp materials to scrape off residue such as razor blades as you might put a scratch on your device
- Allow sufficient time to dry before using it or reapplying stickers
- Disinfecting the laptop is always a good idea after residue removal is over
If you’re someone who loves to decorate your laptop with stickers, there will come a time when you’d want to remove the old ones and stick on your newest collection.
So, if you were wondering how to remove stickers from mac laptop perfectly, our detailed guide through all the effective yet simple ways is sure to be a lifesaver.
Follow the steps accordingly while taking the necessary precautions and your laptop will be a clean slate as when you first purchased it in no time! That too, with the help of the simplest household supplies!